Club History

Maple City Country Club was incorporated on June 28, 1957, after the sale of the Chatham Golf Club by its owners.  The Chatham Golf Club was sold for development and became the Indian Crest subdivision in Chatham.  Because of this sale, a group of local Chatham area businessmen purchased approximately 149 acres in Harwich and Chatham Townships for $34,000.00 in 1957 and began planning for a new golf course and clubhouse.  An additional 11 acres was subsequently purchased in 1969 for $6,000.00.
 
Robbie Robinson was retained as the golf course architect.  Mr. Robinson was a protégé of Stanley Thompson, and is well known and respected for his design and renovation work at over 140 courses across Canada such as Brudenell River in PEI; Ontario courses Twenty Valley, Beverly, Craigowan, St. Thomas Golf Club (2nd nine), Hamilton Golf & Country Club (3rd nine), Westmount, Brantford G&CC, St. Catharines G&CC, Sarnia G&CC, Whirlpool and Quebec's Kanawaki GC, Beaconsfield, and Royal Ottawa in Gatineau, Quebec.

Maple City Country Club - Robbie Robinson

Clinton E. “Robbie” Robinson was born in St. Amadee, Quebec. “Robbie” served as director of the RCGA Greens Section for many years and served as American Society of Golf Course Architects President for two separate terms.

Robinson was inducted into the Canadian Golf Hall of Fame in 2002.

In June 1958, the clubhouse opened, and play began on seven holes.  In 1959, the complete first nine holes were opened for play, with the clubhouse property in Chatham Township connected to the golf course in Harwich Township by a pontoon bridge across the Thames River. In September 1960, the new back nine was completed and opened for play, making Maple City a complete 18-hole course for its members.

Original Clubhouse

Original Course Layout

In 1968, the Maple City members voted to sell the clubhouse and property in Chatham Township, and to build a new clubhouse on the south side of the Thames River in Harwich Township.  Mr. Howard Watson, another protégé of Stanley Thompson, was retained to select the new clubhouse location and re-design the course layout.  Joseph Storey, a renowned local architect, was chosen to design the new clubhouse.  Since being built in 1968, our clubhouse has undergone two additions and renovations, the most recent in 2005.

renovations

 
Over the years, Maple City has hosted national and provincial championships:

  • 1967 Ontario Women’s Amateur Championship – Pam Miller (Oshawa Golf Club)

  • 1983 Ontario Jr. Girls’ Championship – Heather Kuzmich (Barcovan Golf Club)

  • 1999 Canadian Jr. Boys’ Championship – Kevin Klebe (Chilliwack Golf Club)

  • 2014 Ontario Jr. Girls’ Championship – Courtney Tolton (GAO Public Player) 

Throughout its history as a private golf club, Maple City Country Club has focused on being friendly, casual and family-oriented.  We have been fortunate over the past 60 years to have long-serving and committed management and staff, strong leadership from our Board of Directors, ongoing support of our members for change and improvement, and one of the most scenic and well-maintained golf courses in southwestern Ontario.

“Host Club for the 2018 Ontario Junior Girls Golf Championship”